Holler for the weekend!! It’s an extra-special one because, yep, you guessed it – it’s my BIRTHDAY! (Well, yesterday but I’m celebrating all weekend long!). It’s a funny thing about birthdays, that no matter how old we get, there is always that tiny spark of excitement about it. And no amount of being blasé and tyring to act cool that it was “just another day” could stop that feeling.
I WAS meant to have a day off yesterday, but had to go into work which was made slightly better because my manager bought me cupcakes and Evs treated me to lunch. Dinner was low-key with the family at the local Thai restaurant and, OMG, more cake.
We’re hosting a low-key BBQ at our place on Sunday afternoon, perfect summer weather (maybe with a touch of summer thunderstorms) and lots of food, friends and laughter.
But, I’m also taking some time out this weekend for myself. I’m feeling exhausted, more mentally than physically to be honest (although sleeping in this heat has been terrible) and am desperate need of a break. So, in the spirit of me-time, here are some links for you too:
- More so than ever, I’m turning into a fan of being ACTIVE, rather than dedicating time to exercise. These days, the ability to just keep moving is enough to satisfy my bones and I enjoy it a lot more. This post from Sarah Wilson explores the idea of the current message of “Exercising making us fat”.
- I haven’t been on a huge chocolate bender for a while, but this sugar-free chocolate is tempting me back onto the wild side.
- One of my favourite blogs I discovered about six months back was Vienda Maria. In fact, I’ve linked more often than not to her posts here because they resonate so much to me as I try and seek a more simple and authentic life. Part of that is figuring out what I want to do with this blog and sorting through my head to find the answers. As part of my birthday gift to myself, last week I bought her newly-launched ebook – “The Build Your Own Business Blog” (um, only $8! What can I say – I’m a easy person to shop for! ) and am already loving it. Don’t let the word business throw you off, it’s perfect for anyone wanting to grow their blog and perfect for newbies like me that have no clue when it comes to things like SEO haha.
- “Success and likability are positively correlated for men and negatively correlated for women,” – Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg. I am so guilty of this. Especially in the workplace where I have (now looking back, quite embarrassingly) sacrificed myself for likeability. I’ve let people walk all over me and convince me that things were MY FAULT and I’ve agreed with them, because I wanted them to like me. This article explores the truth about women and likeability.
- While I can’t confess to fully feeling like this, I have many friends who live the life of an expat. Perhaps, it’s the same when I return to India and things feel nothing has changed and yet everything has. This post about finding the answer to Where Do I belong? is a great read.
- Ohhh. I had to agree. I HAD to. Even when 4 out of the 6 shows listed here are some of my favourites – they really need to SHUT IT DOWN (Especially Glee *sob*).
- This girl. Where do I start – besides having a banging blog and life (I mean who would NOT want to live on the beaches of Goa??)- she also has another food blog that makes me drool every time I wander over. These garlic-coriander pull apart rolls are something out of this world. You must try them.
Ok, I am off to get the house in some sort of order before people start arriving (I mean I have a DAY, but who can be bothered cleaning in this heat!) and think about the menu.
Happy weekend everyone!!