What up ‘peeps! Right now I am probably lying somewhere on a beach after stuffing myself with a seafood dinner and cocktail in hand. What a sad, sad life I have
Today’s post comes from the lovely Parita – another blog I discovered while trawling through the comments (Before you think I’m a creep – it seriously is the BEST way to find new blogs to read!). I like to call her Pari in my head and am insanely excited for the Big Fat Indian Wedding she has planned in a few months time (which from what I have seen from her blog is going to be amazing!). Enjoy!
Hello, Melbourne Maharani readers! My name is Parita, and I blog over at myinnershakti. I’m honored to have the opportunity to guest blog for Sig as she and Evs are on a well-deserved vacation. And I must admit I’m a bit jealous as well!
My blog is really about a hodgepodge of things that are important to me – exercise, food, travel, my fiancé, my family and friends…simply put, life! One day, I’ll blog about a newfound recipe and the next day I’ll write about my upcoming wedding. I love to keep my readers guessing!
Sig’s blog is a regular read for me. I love her thought-provoking posts, her picture-a-day posts, and her random rambles about life posts. The variety and unique content keep me coming back for more!
So, my goal today is to convince you to drink up for breakfast. And no, I’m not talking about mimosas or fruity cocktails, although my picture above would convince you otherwise. J
Now, let’s be serious for a minute. Have you ever stood around your kitchen before work or school just thinking about what to eat for breakfast? Are you sick of your usual cereal and milk combo? Are you looking for something filling and delicious to last you until lunch? If so, you’ve come to the right place because have I got a solution for you.
Introducing…my Mocha Goodness breakfast shake! Now, I know when you see the list of ingredients you may not automatically think “delicious,” but you have to trust me on this one. This shake is beyond delicious, it’s rich, creamy, and almost dessert like. You’ll be sad when you take the last sip. It’s that good!
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Sunwarrior)
- ½ tablespoon cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s dark chocolate)
- ½ tablespoon instant coffee (I use Nestle)
- 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1 ¼ cup original unsweetened almond milk
Combine all the ingredients in a good quality blender and blend away until the spinach resembles little flecks of green.
Despite the greenish” color, you’ll never be able to tell that this smoothie contains spinach – I promise! You can’t taste it at all (just be sure to blend well). And just think about all the nutrients you’re taking in first thing in the morning, along with a good dose of protein and healthy fats. It’s the perfect A.M. beverage! Your insides will thank me.
Well, thank you so much for reading and thank you, Sig, for allowing me to take over your space for a bit! If you want to learn more about me and my crazy antics, feel free to stop on by at myinnershakti!
Thank you Pari!!…mmm spinach. You know I love Green Monsters!
Over the next few weeks, while I am soaking in the sun and food and OMG husband’s-relatives-I-have-never-met-before-in-my-LIFE, I’ve lined up a few lovely ladies come and check in on y’all.
Trust me – you will love them as much as I do.
After reading a few healthy living blogs over the last year and scrolling through the comments on a particular post (I mean, they’re the best part!!) – Khusboo’s name popped out at me. Not only because she shares the last name of my best friend’s husband but because I was really curious to see how someone could live a healthy life in the hustle and bustle of India. I clicked through and was instantly hooked! Hope you enjoy her post!
Hi guys! My name is Khushboo and I blog over at http://kthadani.com . I’m kinda into this whole “healthy living” thing so my blog is predominantly a space for me to discuss food, fitness and my life in Mumbai. I’m honored that Sig asked me to write a blog post for her while she is off vacaying (lucky girl) ! I wanted to discuss a topic which I feel really passionate about, and know that Sig shares my sentiments towards: weight training.
As a former cardio junkie, I still can’t believe how my workout routine has done a complete 180 over the past few months. From my workouts being predominantly in the form of slogging away on the cross trainer or running 5-6 days a weeks with a bit of squats & dumbbell bicep curls thrown in for good measure, I now merely do cardio 2-3 days. During my other 3 workout sessions of the week, I lift weights.
Did I worry that cutting back in cardio would translate into weight gain? Heck yeah, but fortunately I’ve only reaped the benefits of weight training. I finally saw changes in my body after months of staying the same, my energy levels magnified, I enjoy my cardio sessions more, and lifting my suitcase off the conveyor belt when I’m travelling is no longer a challenge ! I have no doubt that weight training will continue to remain a vital component of my workouts. For those of you who want to start lifting weights more, here are some tips which helped me along the way:
1) Limit your cardio and/or do it afterwards: I always thought that a ‘good’ workout needed to include some form of cardio. On days I’m lifting, my cardio merely consists of the 8-minute walk to and from the gym. If I’m really in a cardio mood, I save it till the end so it doesn’t interfere with my weights workout.
2) Go in with a plan: I’ve made a memo on my Blackberry with a few routines (i.e. full body, lower body & upper body) which are helpful on days where I’m not sure what I want to do. I also committed to the Body For Life program which introduced me to new moves and the importance of specifically targeting various body parts.
3) Don’t underestimate the cardiovascular benefit of weight lifting: Although a weights session won’t provide a sustained increase in heart rate, it will lead to intervals of elevated heart rate. If your heart rate isn’t up by the last few reps, it’s time to opt for a heavier set of dumbbells.
4) Leave at least 30-45 seconds between each set in order to ensure that you don’t progressively compromise the quality of your workout.
5) Go big or go home: No matter how heavy we lift, we ladies (sorry if you’re a male reader ) don’t have enough testosterone to bulk up. Studies actually show that high weights/low reps burn more calories in the hours after training, which is key!
6) Leave a day in between weight training of the same body part: I usually focus on upper body one day and then lower body the next.
7) Form trumps all: Poor form is merely a recipe for injury, and will prevent you from reaping the full benefit of your workout. Before opting for a heavier set of weights, ensure you’ve got the form down to a T.
8 ) Always eat after: Even after a weights session, your metabolism continues to burn calories so don’t be surprised if your appetite levels seem to increase. Eating a combination of carbs & protein like yogurt & cereal or eggs on toast will definitely help reduce the hunger pangs.
Hope to see you guys down on my blog at http://kthadani.com! Have a great holiday Sig !
It’s going to be a wet one.
Weekend that is (Don’t know what YOU were thinking!).
And I am even more happy that I will be leaving Melbourne at its dreariest and jetting off to a place that is warm and sunshiney.
However, don’t think I have forgotten about y’all. Posting may be a little more sporadic than normal (Stop chuckling over there in the corner. I post when I can) but I have a few lovely ladies lined up (try say THAT five times fast!) with some guest posts over the next couple of weeks.
I am going to try and drop in and give you a glimpse of perhaps my feet on the sand or me eating a giant seafood platter or my hands full of shopping bags (or cocktails), coz you know, I care
In the meantime, if you are in Melbourne, stay warm this weekend.
For your reading pleasure…
- This has probably been shared around before, but I like reading it given that the big 3-0 is quickly coming around the corner for me (not until next year but seriously, looking at this list, I gotta get moving!)
- They are just periods. So why did I feel so squeamish when I looked at this photo series? (link to photos in article but perhaps NSFW) via Huff Post
- Have you ever felt so inspired yet paralysed to do anything about it? Or just maybe lacking inspiration? A wonderful article on 7 types of creative blocks and what to do about them.
- If you’re getting exercising this weekend and ever felt your lungs are on fire – chances are you’re not breathing right. As simple as it sounds, here’s an article that goes through how to breathe for every type of exercise.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend and I’ll see you soon!
Best winter remedy?? What time do you normally leave work??
This whole week, I’ve been barely making it through the days. The work was piling on, but my motivation levels were dipping drastically as I could only see the end of the week in sight.
I have been spending way too much time on my lunchbreak trawling through travel websites and reading reviews of places to go, having animated discussions with colleagues about my upcoming plans and generally just finding myself drifting off and staring into the distance.
It’s that little flutter of something that I keep feeling in the pit of my belly. This week has flown and I can’t believe that I only have one more work day left until Evs and I fly off for a 3-week holiday of sun, sand and shopping!!
It kinda still hasn’t hit me yet, but I remembered I last felt this way at this very time last year when I was to embark on a 3-month adventure in Hong Kong.
Um, hang on a second.
It’s been a YEAR already??!!
Evs and I have been planning this for a while and, we both seriously started counting down the days only this month.
So in the midst of a funny-sort of week, here’s what has happened so far:
- I found a child’s pencil case with some CDs randomly in our letter box one night and Evs insisted I throw it away because IN HIS WORDS “someone might have peed on it”. I did, despite my hesitation (I mean, it was a kid’s!), only to have one of our neighbours come by later that evening apologetically asking for it. I had to FISH IT OUT OF THE BIN, secretly wash it and then lie through my teeth and tell the neighbour I did it because there was some muck in the letterbox. She was so grateful and I was so angry at Evs. Evs just watched the whole encounter with barely contained laughter. Still haven’t quite forgiven him.
- Watched the dogs in the house. They are idiots. They have no idea how to sit still and proceed to run around and sprawl all over me. Yet I can’t stay mad at them. Especially when they look like this.
- Pulled out summer clothes from the recesses of my closet to realise that the few extra ‘love-handles’ due to the creeping up of winter comfort eating might mean that I’ll be packing light. But the flipside means either this will be a nekkid kind of holiday or that I’ll be buying lots of new clothes.
- Excitedly waited for the delivery of my new pair of TOMS shoes!! For those who don’t know, TOMS are a brand of shoes known for their comfort and everyday kind of style. I’ve seen them around on a few blogs and I was looking for a pair of comfy shoes I could take on holiday when we have to walk around. Plus, with every pair of shoes purchased they actually purchase a pair of shoes for a child in need. Can’t beat that kind of shoe love.
- Bought a choc-mint whoopie pie from a cafe today when I was in dire need of chocolate (yes I still get chocolate cravings and yes, I sometimes indulge them) and was quite amused when the girl refused to sell it to me until I promised i wouldn’t take dainty bites out of it but instead grab it with both hands and eat it like a hamburger. Suffice to say, that’s what I did. (I REALLY wanted that pie)
- Tried to clear all the vegetables from the fridge into one big-kitchen-sink stir-fry and then wondered why there was a funky smell to realise SOMEONE had left a knife near the flame and the handle melted. All over the wok. The important thing was that the stir-fry was fine.
One more day!!!
Holidays – tell me your plans. What’s your most embarrassing moment with a neighbour?
Best mid-morning snack is a strong latte